Open and use a shared mailbox in Outlook Web App
Learn how a team can benefit by using Outlook Web App to work with a shared mailbox, including how to open and send email from the shared mailbox and how to add it to a primary mailbox.
If you have full access permission to a shared mailbox that appears in the address book, you can use Outlook Web App or a desktop version of Outlook (for example, Outlook 2013), to open that mailbox.
Why use shared mailboxes? Because a shared mailbox makes it easy for a specific group of people to monitor and send email from a public email alias like [email protected] or [email protected] When a person in the group replies to a message sent to the shared mailbox, the email appears to be from the shared mailbox, not from the individual user. You can also use the shared mailbox as a shared team calendar.
The admin for your organization has to create the shared mailbox and add you to the group of users before you can use it. For more information, see What else do I need to know? in this article.
Want to open a shared mailbox using Outlook instead of Outlook Web App? See Manage another person's mail and calendar items.
To watch a video that shows you how to access and use shared mailboxes by using Outlook 2013 and Outlook Web App, check out:
Video: Use a shared mailbox in Outlook 2013 and Outlook Web App
How do I open and use a shared mailbox?
How do I open a shared mailbox?
There are two ways to open a shared mailbox using Outlook Web App. You may want to try both methods and see which works best for you.
Add the shared mailbox so it displays under your primary mailbox in Outlook Web App
This method is recommended if you want to monitor the email from your primary mailbox and the shared mailbox at the same time. In addition, after you complete this task, the shared mailbox and its folders are displayed in the left navigation pane each time you open Outlook Web App.
- Sign in to your account in Outlook Web App.
- Right-click your primary mailbox in the left navigation pane, and then choose add shared folder.
- In the add shared folderdialog box, type the name or email address of the shared mailbox, and then clickadd.
The shared mailbox displays in your Folder list in Outlook Web App. You can expand or collapse the shared mailbox folders as you can with your primary mailbox. You also can remove the shared mailbox from your Folder list. To remove it, right-click the shared mailbox, and then click delete.
Open the shared mailbox in a separate browser window
We recommend that you use this method if you want to view and manage the email for the shared mailbox in its own browser window.
- Sign in to your account in Outlook Web App.
- On the Outlook Web App nav bar, click on your name. A list appears.
- Click Open another mailbox.
- Type the email addressof the other mailbox that you want to open. Another Outlook Web App session opens in a separate window, allowing access to the other mailbox.
TIP If you mistype the email address of the mailbox, a second window opens alerting you that the webpage can’t be found. Try retyping the email address.
How do I send email from the shared mailbox?
To send email from the shared mailbox using Outlook Web App:
- Click above the folder list. A new message form opens in the reading pane.
- Click More and then select Show from. This option shows you that the people who receive the email message will see that it comes from the shared mailbox and not from your own email account.
- To add recipients, type the nameof anyone who is in your contacts folder or organization’s address list, or type the email address in the To or cc The first time you enter a person’s name, Outlook Web App searches for that person’s address. In the future, the name is cached so it resolves quickly.
- Type a
- Type the messageyou want to send.
- When your message is ready to go, click send.
How do I use the shared calendar?
One of the great things about using a shared mailbox is that anyone who has access to the shared mailbox also has full access to the calendar. You can create, edit, and delete events in the calendar. Use the shared calendar just as you would use your own calendar. Here's a short list of things you can do with the shared mailbox calendar:
- Let your team know when you're going on vacation or when you’ll be out of the office.
- Create a team meeting.
- Edit a calendar event that someone else created.
- Cancel a meeting that someone else created.
To access the calendar
- Sign in to your mailbox using Outlook Web App. If you're using Office 365, sign in to your account at the Microsoft Online Portal.
- Right-click OTHER CALENDARS, and then click open calendar.
- In From Directory, search for the shared calendar you want to open. Select the shared mailbox you want to open, and then click Open.
- The shared calendar displays in your Calendar folder list.
For general information about how to use the calendar in Outlook Web App, see Calendar overview.
What else do I need to know?
- The admin for your organization has to create the shared mailbox and add you to the group of users before you can use it.
- If you are an Office 365 Small Business admin, see Create and use shared mailboxes. If you're an admin for a different version of Office 365 or an Exchange admin, see the TechNet article Create a Shared Mailbox.